One of the most useful things in day to day game development is to know about those weird gotchas that you find in any complex tech. On top of that, you need to remember said gotchas the next time you encounter them. When developing cross platform games at a fast pace, I have solved problems and completely forgotten the solve the next time I bump into it six months later. Debug Diaries is my first attempt at trying to curb this. When I am faced with a weird problem, I am going to try to fix the problem while writing about it so that I can remember and hopefully, help you too. Here goes…

On doing the Amazon port of our soon to be released game, Thunder Jack’s Log Runner, I found that after adding the plugins to the port, the game too about 5 to 10 mins to load. I have seen this before when loading a lot of textures from resources but can be sure. The last thing I added before the problem was AdColony, which could have pushed me over the memory threshold. Time to pull it out and add some debug logs.

The first thing I did was to switch from my amazon branch to my google play branch to see if the problem was inherent or platform specific. For those who don’t know, most Android builds will work on Amazon devices because they are Android. You just have to watch out for the platform specific plugins.
Result: Same thing. So now, I am…